The following information is for students. See these pages for:
My Library Account
Sign into My Library with your CapU credentials to:
- Renew books online
- Check due date or status
- Request holds
Access to online resources is restricted to students, faculty and staff. To access online resources off-campus or through the CapU wireless network, you will need to log in with your CapU credentials. Not sure where to start? Search Discovery from the Library homepage.
- General Collection: 2 weeks; max. 30 items
- Reserve: varies: 3 hours to 1 week; max. 5 items
- Journals & Magazines: 2 weeks; max. 10 items
- Newspapers: library use only
- DVDs, Blu-ray discs, CDs: 2 weeks; max. 10 items
A Blu-ray player is available in the library for media viewing. External DVD/CD drives are available for check-out at the IT Services desk.
Holds & Renewals
You can place holds on library materials through Discovery on the Library homepage. A notification will be sent to you when the items are ready to pick up. The Library will keep holds for up to four days.
You can renew books up to two times. To renew books you can:
Periodicals and Reserves may not be placed on hold or renewed.
During open hours, please return materials to the book return at the Library Services desk, located just inside our main entrance.
- When the Library is closed, material can be returned to the after-hours book return inside the entrance near the Centre for Student Success, on Greg Lee Way.
- Items returned after-hours will be backdated to the previous business day.
- Are you on the Sunshine Coast? Deliver library materials to the University's Front Desk at your campus and it will be returned to North Vancouver via interoffice mail.
Capilano University Library does not charge fines for overdue items, except for Reserves and items requested by another student. If you lose an item, replacement costs will be charged.
Fines and replacement costs can be paid at the Library Services desk by debit or credit card. Contact the Library for more information.
Failure to return materials or pay replacement costs will result in suspension of library privileges, withholding of official transcripts, and denial of further registration. Contact the Library if you have a hold on your student account due to outstanding Library fines.
- Recalled items (books, DVDs, CDs, Blu-rays, & other media) - $0.50/day (maximum late fine = $20 per item)
- Reserve items (1 to 7-day loans) - $1.00/day (maximum late fine = $20 per item)
- Reserve items (3-hour loans) - $0.50/hour (maximum late fine = $20 per item)
Lost or Damaged Items
Borrowers will be charged the full retail replacement cost for lost or heavily damaged items. Full replacement cost also applies when part of a set is lost. Where retail costs cannot be determined, these minimum charges apply:
|$25.00||CD, DVD, Blu-ray disc|
|$35.00||Books, bound periodicals|
Your current Capilano University student, faculty or staff CapCard ID is your library card. CapCards must be presented by the legitimate cardholder to borrow material. It is the responsibility of each borrower to notify the CapCard Centre of a lost card immediately. Changes of address can be made within your myCapU Account in the update address section.
Community borrowers and alumni: ask at the Library Services desk for a free CapU Library card.