CapU Library is here to support the university community. There is no charge to use any of our resources, but access may be limited to currently registered students, faculty and staff.
Stay in Touch with the Library
Go to the Library online: library.capilanou.ca
Connect with the Library on social media: Instagram l Twitter l Facebook
Find YOUR Place at the Library
Online calendar of Library Hours
Regular Library Hours, Fall and Spring Terms
Monday to Thursday 8 am - 10 pm
Friday 8 am - 6 pm
Saturday 11 am - 6 pm
Sunday & Holidays Closed
The Library is open longer hours on weekends at the end of term/beginning of the exam period. Check the Library Hours page for the most up-to-date schedule.
Regular Library Hours, Summer Term and Between Terms
Monday to Friday 8 am - 5 pm
Saturday, Sunday & Holidays Closed
Spaces for You
The Library has been designed to meet a wide variety of study needs - including yours!
You can eat and drink in the Library, but please be mindful of messy or strong-smelling foods, and keep lids on drinks near computers.
Washrooms are located:
- on the main floor, in the long hallway running east-west. Come into the Library area, go past the Learning Commons and Library entrances, and they are in the middle of the hall.
- we have two universal washrooms in this area
- on the second floor, along the south wall between the internal elevator and study room LB206.
- these washrooms have mobility-access stalls, but there are no all-gender facilities on the second floor
- in the Library Building, near the Registrar's Office, there are 16 universal washrooms, including 2 for mobility access.
Do you need an elevator to get to our 2nd floor?
We have an internal elevator, located just inside the entrance to the Library area, across from the Student Life Hub in the Learning Commons, that gets you up to the books, silent study area and study rooms LB204-206 & LB212. Can't find it? Just ask at the Library Services Desk.
1st Floor - Collaboration Zone
- group tables
- individual and group use computers
- bookable study rooms (LB111, 117, 118, 123)
- soft seating
- chill room
- silent-study garden room
2nd Floor - Silent Zone
No talking at all, except in the collaboration rooms. Eating and drinking should also be very very quiet.
- individual carrels with plugs (150)
- individual use computers (4)
- soft seats (3)
- bookable rooms (LB204, 205, 206, 212)
Bookable Study Rooms
Go online to reserve a room up to 2 weeks in advance, bookings up to 2 hours. Rooms are for individual or group use. Room size varies from 1 to 12 people.
- CapU Student - sign in with your regular CapU credentials
- CapU Guest - password/security key is capuguest
- Printer/scanner/copier Black & White x2 and Colour x 1
- Print from your Papercut account
- Add funds with the machines in the Library entrance or online
- default setting is double-sided
- $0.08 per b&w print/copy, $0.07 per side, double-sided
- $0.50 per colour print/copy
Library Resources to Support You and Your Studies
What the Library has:
- more than 90% of our articles, books, films and music are online, including multiple streaming video and audio services
- a general collection of over 60,000 print books on the Library 2nd floor
- special collections of children's books, popular reading books, DVDs & Blu-rays, and print journals on the Library 1st floor
- Course Reserves - books and films that your Instructor has set aside for your use, available behind the Library Service Desk
What the Library doesn't have:
- textbooks for most courses; search your course in our online Course Reserves listings, or search Discovery for the exact title and author
Finding Resources in the Library
- Discovery is our main search portal, connecting you to 80% of the resources we offer
- Use the search box on the Library home page to start any research
- Research Guides are available for many subjects and courses - these give you specific databases, books and movies, as well as online resources that are tailored to your discipline
- Your Liaison Librarian is available via email with great suggestions to help you find relevant materials
- We don't have something you want? Submit an interlibrary loan request and we can almost always get it for you - average article delivery time is 1-2 days!
Using Library Resources
- Your CapCard is your Library card - bring it with you to check out materials from the Library
- Borrowing periods are online - you can borrow books for 3 weeks, with the option to renew online for additional time
- bring back your items 24/7 via the Book Return on the west side of the building
Getting Help from the Library
- Our Library Services Desk is open the same hours as the Library - don't know where to find the information you need? Ask us!
- Research Help Desk is Librarians helping students, online and in person; we can connect you to resources, talk through your research topic, help with citations, and lots more
- The IT Help Desk is located next to the Library Service Desk - get help with basic student technology needs, like email, signing-in to your CapU account, printing and more.